Sticking with it
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Sorry for the late post, it's been pretty hectic with work and everything else going on. The workouts are still going strong though. Yesterday's lower body session is screaming today. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) is kicking in. Usually DOMS can occur anywhere from 24-48 hours after intense exercise.
Here is a quick rundown of what the workout consisted of yesterday. Between every set is a maximum of 30 seconds rest, I'm trying to increase my muscular endurance and get my body used to intense exercise with short rest periods. Everything is 3 sets of 12 right now.
1- 5 minute spin warmup followed by some calisthenic movements. (I usually do the kettle bell swing, with some moving pushups as well). Jump squats are also a good warmup.
2- One leg squats, holding the Medicine Ball overhead. 3 sets of 12+ reps * (When you see 12+ that means you do minimum of 12 and try to go for at least 3 more)
3-Dumbell Deadlift
4- Dumbell Lunge (I prefer to do the backwards lunge, vs forward. I find you have to focus more on stepping backwards than forwards and you recruit different types of muscle fibers).
5- Stability Ball Hamstring curls - These are great, they hit both my core and by the end my hamstrings are screaming to stop.
6- Side Lunge with plate at chest level - I find this exercise to be very difficult, so don't get heavy in weight. You can either keep the weight in front of you the whole time, or when you lunge a quick punch out with the weight. You feel your chest, shoulders and grip working with this exercise.
7- Standing one leg calf raise
Then a core circuit (will give you that one another day) & 5 minute cool down, followed by static stretching. For my workout program I also did an extra 30 mins of low resistance spin for active recovery. For more on what active recovery is refer to my earlier blog.
This program is tough so far but I know I will see the results. Derek at Functional Strength has specialized my program for my specific needs for my triathlon and I can't wait to see what happens when I get to the start line, and later the finish line.
Staye tuned for more updates.
andontothenext@gmail.com

0 comments:
Post a Comment